Kickstarter Success Story: Where I went wrong
Last week, my friend Patrick launched his own Kickstarter project to build out and complete a comic book art gallery (brilliantly called “The Rogues Gallery”).
simple reason for the project’s success is that it’s a great idea which
appeals to a talented and passionate community of artists and fans.
Beyond that, Patrick asked for a relatively modest amount, making the
funding all but guaranteed.
I plotted out what I actually needed to take my Kickstarter book
project to completion, I accounted for a lot of big ticket expenses.
(and other) expenses had me estimating my needs at a shocking 17K. I
knew it was a ballsy amount to pitch, so I worked my ass off to raise
awareness and generate interest over those three months. Along those
massive amount, for sure; just not massive enough. At the end of the 90
days, the funding board was wiped clean and I had no finished book to
show for it. I had asked for too much money to fund a fairly niche
book…in a recession. My book strategy of “doing it right” led me to
not doing it at all.
Kickstarter again, I’d use it to launch a project that required
significantly less funding, or I’d at least find a way to better handle
take the time to record a video message for my funding page, rather than
rely on a static picture of, say, Al Jourgensen.
to Patrick and The Rogues Gallery, funding’s already gone $1300 over
the target. In one short week of activity, Patrick has taught me how to
do this right. I’m not ready to test the Chicago Rocked waters again,
but there will be other projects down the road…